Leather Care Instructions
PROPER CLEANING OF BOOTS, JODHPUR BOOTS AND CHAPS:
- Dirt on the outside (e.g. soil, mud, etc.) is best removed with warm water and a soft cloth and the boots then subsequently dried with a soft cotton cloth. Do not use hard brushes or similar.
- Horse sweat, damp manure, etc. are very aggressive for leather and wear it out. It is therefore better to remove it immediately using a damp cloth, otherwise the leather will stiffen and crack after a while, thus reducing the life span and funcition of the boot.
- Zips need to be cleaned regularly with a small brusch; please ensure that mud and horse sweat are removed to allow the zip to run smoothly.
- After normal cleaning give the zipper special protection by treating it with zipper-spray.
- For boots and chaps with sticky leather inserts: please do not use any care products on that insert as it will lead to a loss of grip.
- Patent leater and carbon-coated leather uppers should be cleaned in the traditional way and do not need any additional care after cleaning.
PROPER DRYING ADVICE
- Leather boots need ad least 24 hours to dry after being worn, depending on the amount of moisture they have absorbed.
- Boots should not be dried near heating or ovens, only in a dry an well-ventilated place.
- When dried in an unsuitable way, i.e. too quickly and at a hight temperature, the leather becomes inflexible and brittle which reduces the life span of the boot.
- If leather riding boots need to be qorn daily, we recommend having a sendond pair for changing.
TIPS FOR CORRECT CARE
- Only apply a thin layer of suitable leather care solution evenly to the properly cleaned boots and polish them with a woollen cloth or a nylon stocking. Please also consult the instructions of the care solution manufacturer. Never apply products unsuitalbe for leather like shine spray, glas cleaner, hairspray or similar, as this would cause immediate damage to the leater structure.
- Suitable care solutions are good shoe polishes in, or as close as possible, to the boots colour. Cavallo recommends Kiwi shoe polish which makes your boots water-repellent and shiny.
- For additional protection against wetness, an impregnating spray can be used for the soles (CFC-free if possible, please).